Sunday, May 27, 2007

So Quiet

I've been quiet of late, I know. There are a few relatively juicy blog essays banging around in my head, but no time to write them.


Y'see, I'm writing again. Working title is This Rusted Cage (TRC), and it's shaping up to be a fair bit of fun. At least, I can't wait to see what happens. But it's autumn in the book, and autumn here on the ground, so I'm really trying to boogie while the impressions are all nice and fresh.


I dashed off maybe three or four thousand words on that earlier idea (the guy in handcuffs), but it wasn't there yet. I like his story, but this one needs telling first. Oddly, this story is one I made a couple of false starts on before starting (and finishing) the previous novel.


That one's still marinating. Another month or two, I'll print and edit.


In the meantime, I've put up the bones of a site for my writing. There's even an excerpt here. Of course, I'll have to do this all over when the publishers insist on a name change and I end up writing as Winter Fallon or some such.


On the home front, Midge has gone from staying outside to sleeping in the same room with Butler. On top of the bookshelves where he can't reach her, of course, but it's progress. They've also eaten at the same time, which is rather social for the Duchess Midge.


When the laptop's not handy (supermarkets, lines, waiting rooms, etc.), I've been working longhand in a notebook. Later, I transcribe those scenes in. Butler has also been most helpful in this regard.

3 comments:

RK Sterling said...

That is kitty is just too cute for his own good. Glad to hear Midge is thawing a bit.

I find switching between computer and notebooks sometimes gets the creative juices flowing. I just having to type it all up later.

Charles Gramlich said...

Great background for the writing link site. I checked out the sample too. Very good. "...Fresh bruises like dark irregular coins" is worth the price of admission all by itself. Beautiful stuff here but I expected nothing less.

Susan Miller said...

Wonderful writing and artwork, Steve.