Saturday, July 12, 2008

Write More Betterer


Lisa awarded me the Pico del'Arte, for which I am *most* stoked! As I understand it, this award is all about inspiration. In that inspiring spirit (and to spend more time with 'The Remarkable Shrinking TBR Pile') , I've decided to emulate the finger pointing at the moon, and direct you to resources that you shall write 'more betterer'.

First, our very own Liz Fenwick has been posting her notes from a recent writing conference. Kate Harrison's Botox for Writers is recounted here, and tips from agent Caroline Sheldon are here.
Both are chock full of great info.

Speaking of great info, the inimitable J.A. Konrath has done it again: The Newbie's Guide to Publishing Book is 750 pages of priceless advice. It's like an MFA in Creative Writing, except that the information comes from someone whose writing actually SELLS, and its contents are stuff you can actually USE!

And for a little extra fun, here's his advice on 'How Not to Start a Story'...

And while I'm thinking about the sort of information MFA programs *should* give out but don't, one bit of advice I see given all to seldom is this: rent lots of DVDs.

That's right, rent lots and lots of DVDs, then sit down and listen to the creator commentaries. You don't even have to watch the movie, just listen to the writer and/or director talk about their storytelling. You can learn from good movies and from bad ones. You can learn from storytellers puzzled at the success/failure of their creations and from those too deluded to see what works. As long as they talk about how and why they told the story the way they did.

Sure, you'll get burned sometimes. Some creators, even writer/directors who had control over the whole project, seem unable to do more than describe the movie as it happens. Yea, Vince, I'm talking about you. Your commentary on The Breakup was like movies for the blind: 'Um, yeah, he's going into the kitchen here. Probably wants a snack. I'm pretty sure they're mad at each other. Looks like they might break up.' Gack.

And on that note, I'm off. Joe Lansdale, Jefferson Parker and Charles DeLint are calling me. In my quest to write more betterer, it's a grand thing indeed to spend time reading the Most Bestest!

10 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Ouch, those tips for how not to start a story. I think I've done all of those. I have to admit to a fondness for prologues for example, and description. I love description, beginning, middle, end.

Riss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Riss said...

Take two.

Good info out there sir. Well done and in the spirit of the award even! You shure do rite purdy. :P Naw, good stuff. I think I've committed several of those crimes as well hehe. It's only natural I suppose.

Lisa said...

These are all great links! I definitely loved JA Konrath's ranty list. I think Liz and I are on a similar schedule with these writing retreat-like events.

And I am SO glad to see your endorsement of movie watching (which always makes me feel a little guilty that I'm not reading). I do love the special features and director/screenwriter commentary when it's done well. One that stands out in particular was the commentary for American Beauty.

Yes, you do indeed live up to the spirit of this award. Throw another log on the fire and enjoy the shrinking TBR stack.

Sphinx Ink said...

Wow, that Konrath article on how not to start a story is scorching but invaluable advice. Some of the comments following it, especially Konrath's responses to the comments, are as good as his essay. Thanks, Steve, for the links. And your tip about viewing DVD commentary also is excellent.

SQT said...

I like the idea of watching movie commentaries. I hadn't thought about it before, but what better way to get inside the head of a good storyteller?

cs harris said...

An award well earned. And I'm with you on listening to movie makers talk about their art. I've learned some valuable insights.

Steve Malley said...

Charles, I have a secret love of weather. Fortunately, not in the final draft.

Riss, I do try to make my marks as purtified as I can.

Aw shucks, Lisa, just doing my job...

Sphinx, now I gotta go back and read the comments!

SQT, unless it's Vince Vaughn.

CS, oddly, one of the most edifying commentaries was the writer's track on AMerican Pie 2!

Shauna Roberts said...

You deserve the award, and I envy you the reading time reward you've given yourself. Have a great time.

Steve Malley said...

Shauna, I'd have a better time if it weren't for that sneaky urge to write a little something...