Thursday, November 27, 2008

Mmmm, Turkey


In what is becoming something of a tradition, I present Steve's Third Annual How-Not-to-Write Revisit of the Turkey City Lexicon.

A few of the rules are specifically geared toward Science Fiction and Fantasy writers, but there's plenty there for all of us.

And as a bit of mashed potatoes and stuffing, or perhaps cranberries and pumpkin pie, here are a few more helpful tips on Bad Words, the Look of the Thing and the Heirarchy of Sloth...

And, for that cold leftover-turkey sandwich two hours after you were sure your stomach would explode but now you're hungry again, I give you some Scooby Don'ts.

Bon Appetit!




That's right, it's a clip show....

9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

hummn, I'm guilty of some of those things in the lexicon. Especially "push button" words.

Hope you have a great holiday time.

Barbara Martin said...

I admit I've been guilty of some of the things mentioned in your post. Now I know whenever I'm stuck on a writing issue to come here and read through the past posts for an answer.

Thanks, Steve, for this writing lesson.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving with your family.

Lana Gramlich said...

...I'm sorry, did you say something? I was a bit distracted by the tasty, er, LOVELY photo you posted.

Shauna Roberts said...

A wild turkey is a magnificent looking animal.

I've been guilty too of some of these mistakes, even ones in posts I read before. Thanks for the reminder, Steve.

Steve Malley said...

Charles, I hate to admit how many of those I catch in my first drafts.

Barbara, glad you liked the writing stuff. We don't have Thanksgiving here in New Zealand; last thing anyone wants at the starft of summer is a big, starchy, Harvest Holiday meal... :)

Lana, I hear you. Mmmmm....

Shauna, my sins come back to haunt me, too. :)

Miladysa said...

I've just realised that there's no hope for me...

SQT said...

I commit these sins all too often. I just noticed that I used the phrase "I think" at least 3 times in a paragraph on a blog post. I shudder to think how many people read that before I went back and fixed it.

I'm amazed at how many times I unconsciously fall into bad habits.

AvDB said...

Avery gulps and looks around shifty-eyed as she reads the list of common writer errors.

ANNA-LYS said...

a clip show
what about joining a light show?