Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolved


One of the finest martial arts I ever studied was Kali/Eskrima. It's the art Kane uses in Crossroad Blues, though the bit where he talked about it didn't make the final cut of the story. Kali's a Philippine fighting style, and a big component involves taking the other guy's (or guys'-- dealing with multiple attackers is definitely something they work on) machete/knife/broken/etc away from him and making him regret he was ever born.

There's a tendency to push people behind you as you cut their throats. One reason is not to have flailing bodies in the way or blood spray blinding you as you deal with the dead guy's buddies. Another, maybe even more important reason, is so that the fighter doesn't have to actually see the results of the damage they do.

With that in mind, I'm not looking back at 2010. Too much blood on the floor, a lot of it my own.

So what's next for 2011?

Resolved:

I will bring out AT LEAST THREE more novels as e-books. (Since I've already got one *almost* ready to go, this one's not that hard)

I will bring out SERINA Vol. 1 as an e-book. (Graphic novels are an *enormous* pain in the ass to e-book, but it'll be nice to see them again)

I will finish my current WiP (I wanted another easy one-- of course I'm going to finish the latest novel)
and last, but not least...

I will build that online awareness that will help people find my work. (This one's going to be the hardest for me-- I'm happy toiling away at all my various projects, but I suck when it comes time to market them. This year, I'll do whatever it takes!)

That's it. No resolutions about languages or classes, diets or exercise or love or sex. I want more people reading my books.

How about you?

5 comments:

Angie said...

I first heard about escrima in Robert Asprin's Phule's Company books; one of the characters practices it, and they talk about it a bit. It sounds cool, and different, but I've never actually seen anyone doing it.

I want more people reading my books.

I can get behind that one. [nod]

Have a great New Year! {{}}

Angie

Charles Gramlich said...

Good resolutions. AS for me, I'm feeling pretty tired at the moment. Maybe I'll be able to plan next year.

Steve Malley said...

Angie, I'll try post you something!

Charles, rest. Rest, relax and then, begin to write... I don't care if you make a resolution, just don't stop that flow of full-throttle fiction! :)

Lana Gramlich said...

Happy New Year & best of luck with your 2011 plans. I don't really have anything solid in mind for the year yet.

Erik Donald France said...

Happy New Year, man, and all best in forging forward -- Laissez les bons temps rouler! ~~