Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Tell It, Pablo

I Crave Your Mouth, Your Voice, Your Hair


DON'T GO FAR OFF, NOT EVEN FOR A DAY
Don't go far off, not even for a day, because --
because -- I don't know how to say it: a day is long
and I will be waiting for you, as in an empty station
when the trains are parked off somewhere else, asleep.

Don't leave me, even for an hour, because
then the little drops of anguish will all run together,
the smoke that roams looking for a home will drift
into me, choking my lost heart.

Oh, may your silhouette never dissolve on the beach;
may your eyelids never flutter into the empty distance.
Don't leave me for a second, my dearest,

because in that moment you'll have gone so far
I'll wander mazily over all the earth, asking,
Will you come back? Will you leave me here, dying?

Pablo Neruda

(Steve here)

Man, could this guy write! My own current work is shaping up okay. No word counters this time, but I've got the players on the board and they're each starting to give me a sense of what they want. Two or three of them are just an absolute blast to write, constantly surprising me.

Of course, there are two characters who act like they want one thing, but I'm pretty sure they're lying...

Butler continues to help.

4 comments:

Susan Miller said...

Yep, Pablo rocks. Also, I'm excited to read that there are a few characters starting to make Steve rock. Cool.

cs harris said...

Wonderful imagery.

Charles Gramlich said...

Love the Neruda stuff. It came at an interesting time, when I'm just getting ready to leave for a few days and am going to be missing my honey something fierce.

Glad your own story is progressing. Let's hear it for lying characters.

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

hey, steve. the professor of my poetry workshops a quarter century ago was a big neruda fan. the mists of time confuse me towards specifics, but i do recall that a poem he wrote--jack carroll, that is--with neruda as topic won a pushcart prize or some similar award. guess your time will come soon, eh?